We hosted a couple of families for a chili supper the other night, serving my homemade chili which I call The Big Bad, Rex Has Gone Mad Chili. After sharing a Facebook post about the chili, enough have asked me for the recipe that I am posting it here (see below).
About the chili, it’s a mildly sweet and spicy chili with both a taste of barbecue and tomato. Ideally, the chili has enough spice to feel the heat but is still mild enough for all people to enjoy. If you make it, please let me know because I would love to hear what you think. Also, if you do make it, invite a few people to enjoy it with you so that you can enjoy the blessing of food and fellowship together. After all, the table is a great place to experience the kingdom of God.
“The Big Bad, Rex Has Gone Mad Chili”
by K. Rex Butts
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- 6 cans of chili beans
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 4 cans of tomato sauce
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- Hickory smoked barbecue sauce
- Butter syrup
- Cayenne Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Cook the ground beef in a skillet until meat is well done. While cooking add a little salt and garlic powder to the meat.
- Chop up your green bell pepper and onion.
- Add the green bell pepper and onion into a pot with the four cans of tomato sauce and one can of diced tomatoes; begin cooking these ingredients together.
- Add the two cans of kidney beans and two cans of chili beans to your pot. Take about a ¼ of your beans and mash them up real good before adding to pot (this will help thicken the chili).
- Add the following ingredients to the chili sauce in the pot:
- 6 oz of barbeque sauce
- 1 cup of butter syrup
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 table spoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (or a tablespoon depending on your preference of spice)
- 4-5 tablespoons of sugar
- Add meat to the chili sauce
- Cook on a mid-range burner temperature for 30 minutes then let chili cook on simmer temperature for 2-3 hours and stir as needed.