Life is not always easy; sometimes life hurts deeply.
- I know of a couple people who are dealing with some tough pain and suffering right now. You probably do too.
- Don’t explain or try to mitigate the hurt, as it never helps.
- A phone call asking how someone is doing, or a note letting them know they are not forgotten goes a long way.
Where faith and suffering intersect.
- The Psalms of lament give us a faithful voice to express our anger, doubts, pains, and questions.
- We need to give more space in worship for lament, as not everyone gathered for worship if full of joy. Some who gather to worship are barely hanging on to faith.
- Speaking of this, have a listen to this video Schooled in Denial by Old Testament scholar and pastoral thinker Walter Brueggemann:
So what’s on your mind that can help us live as better ministers?